Logitech Media Server
Logitech Media Server is the server software that powers audio players from Logitech (formerly known as SlimDevices), including Squeezebox 3rd Generation, Squeezebox Boom, Squeezebox Receiver, Transporter, Squeezebox2, Squeezebox and SLIMP3.
Logitech Media Server is the new name for Squeezebox Server, starting with version 7.7. Before it was known as Squeezebox Server (version 7.4 to 7.6) and SlimServer (before 7.4)
1. Beginners Guide
- Beginners Guide - start here if you want a good overview and getting started guide
2. Installation Guides
Also see Category:Installation Guide Pages
Installing to a Computer or Laptop
The most common solution is to install Squeezebox Server to your personal computer or a computer that you've chosen as your music server. Choose the guide below according to your operating system:
- Linux Installation Guide
- Windows Installation Guide
- Mac Installation Guide
- FreeBSD Installation Guide
- OpenBSD Installation Guide
- Solaris Installation Guide
- OpenSolaris Installation Guide
- VortexBox install guide
Installing to a NAS Device
You can also install Squeezebox Server onto a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. A NAS is essentially a drive-box containing disk drives, a controller, and some in-built software (called firmware). Squeezebox Server can often be installed such a NAS device, which is certainly the coolest option. It's recommended that you check the compatibility of a particular device before purchasing one if you intend to use it as your Squeezebox Server.
- On a ReadyNAS
- LinkStation Live Installation Guide (part 1) (part 2) (for LinkStation Live V2 HS-DHGL)
- LinkStation Installation Guide
- LinkStation Pro Installation Guide
- NSLU2 Installation Guide
- Thecus N2100 Installation Guide
- flipflip's SlimServer On DiskStation (SSODS) and On TurboStation (SSOTS) (for Synology Diskstations, QNAP TurboStations, and other devices)
- Asus WL500g Premium Installation Guide
- OpenFiler Installation Guide (This is actually an open-source operating system designed for NAS devices).
- QNAP NAS Systems Installation Guide Also highly recommended: SSOTS forum (Need to create an account to view).
3. Post Installation
- Go to http://YOUR_SERVER:9000 to play with the server's web interface.
- Squeezebox Server Plugins - customizations and enhancements that can add additional features to Squeezebox Server and Squeezebox players.
- Hacks Mods and Tweaks
- Running Multiple SlimServers
- Running Multiple Squeezebox Servers
- Connecting remotely - connecting to your Squeezebox Server at home from other locations.
- A word about player firmware - in short, Squeezebox Server does it for you!
- Diagnosing Performance Issues with the Server & Network Health Plugin (For SlimServer 6.5, but much still applies to SC7 -- could use an update)
- How to create a log file to help diagnose problems starting, running or using Squeezebox Server
- Find (or contribute) information about Squeezebox Server compatibility or known issues with Firewalls and Antivirus Software
Filing bugs is a great way to participate in the open source process!
- The bug database is available at http://bugs.slimdevices.com.
- Some tips on filing bugs are available.
- An essay on how bugs are tracked through our system is listed under bug process.
Thanks for your help!
Some users have started a Wishlist for hardware and software features. Got a great idea? Post it here.
- Guide to tools - A guide to ripping, creating, editing and updating digital audio files for Squeezebox Server
- Various Artists logic - How Squeezebox Server determines what is a Various Artist/Compilation Album
- How Squeezebox Server Handles Compilations - How Squeezebox Server handles Compilation albums
- Alarm Clock - Information on the Alarm Clock functionality in Squeezebox Server and mysqueezebox.com
- Random Mix - Playing random music
- MultiDisc - How to get the multi-disc options working
- Information Browser - Installing Addons for Squeezebox Server's Information Browser feature ( Squeezebox Server 7 and higher)
- Squeezebox Server Default Locations - Operating System specific locations of meta file ( Squeezebox Server 7 and higher)
- Squeezebox Server preferences file - describing the preferences that can be set
- CLI CLI - Command Line Interface programatic control of your Squeezebox Server
- SlimServer database file - locations of the metadata file
- SlimSkins- the HTML GUI to Squeezebox Server
- Synchronization - syncing two or more music players
- Internet Radio - more information on how Internet Radio works with Squeezebox Server
- Players and Service Compatibility - more information on which Services work with SqueezeBox players
- Other radio - how to stream external audio into Squeezebox Server
- Remote streaming - instructions on how to stream to a remote computer
- Album artwork - documentation of how album artwork works with Squeezebox Server and how to configure it
- Use an existing MySQL instance - using your existing MySQL instance with Squeezebox Server instead of Squeezebox Server's own version.
- Replacing SQLite with MySQL - using the MySQL database in place of SQLite (only applicable to versions of SlimServer /older/ than 6.5.0).
- Tips and tricks - things which may not be immediately obvious and/or buried in the documentation
- IR Blaster - What is IR Blaster and how does it work
- SlimServer database structure - documentation of the structure of the Squeezebox Server database
- Software roadmap - current projections of future server development
- Developer guide - how to write your own Plugin
- Quality assurance - information about testing
- User interface guidelines - details on the rules governing designing player interfaces
- Skin development - discusses the design of skins
- Coding Style Guide - very brief guide to the style of coding used for Squeezebox Server
- Subversion and the RepositoryStructure
- Starting Windows development - A few hints to get you started under Windows
- Localized files - Files which are localized in Squeezebox Server, installers and other components
- Design of new-streaming - notes and discussion about a refactoring of streaming control.
- Profiling - Tips on profiling the performance of the server.
- Slim Server Specification (6.5.1) - specification document for SlimServer 6.5.1
- SlimServer62Goals - specification document for SlimServer 6.2